Crystal Clean+® 6.0
July 27, 2021
Updated measures introduced on Crystal Serenity & Crystal Symphony.
Crystal understands that relationships are built on trust. With your continued trust in mind, we have applied our exacting attention to detail across all of our new safety measures. So while our touch may remain (intentionally) unseen, we deliver nothing less than total transparency in all matters regarding your health and wellness.
With more than 30 years of cruising to the far reaches of the world, Crystal has a long tradition of implementing and maintaining exceptional standards for health and safety at sea. The Crystal Clean+ program evolves these standards to meet the unique challenges posed by Covid-19. The company is tackling these challenges with science and innovation, and in accordance with the latest data and recommendations by health experts.
Return to Crystal 6.0
The protocols outlined here are the latest updated measures to Crystal Clean+ – version 6.0. Every protocol will be continually evaluated and updated as new information becomes available. Crystal is committed to full compliance with all
local and global applicable health authorities and, as such, will update Crystal Clean+ protocols as appropriate.
All guests are required to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccination at least 14 days prior to cruise departure. For guests sailing on Luxury Bahamas Escapes voyages embarking in Miami, vaccination is not required although it is strongly recommended. Please review specific protocols for unvaccinated guests here.
Already a booked guest? Your Vacation Guide Is Here
In addition to our Crystal Clean+ health and safety information page online, we have also developed a dedicated Vacation Guide on select itineraries where health and safety guidelines and protocols, on board or ashore, may be more enhanced and/or specific as required by the destination's local policies. Please click the button below for the Vacation Guide for your upcoming Crystal voyage.
Embarkation & DisembarkationVigilance Aboard & Ashore
Every single guest will have their temperature checked both prior to boarding ship or venturing ashore. We will disinfect all luggage offshore prior to boarding. We always comply with all local health authority regulations for safe embarkation and disembarkation screening.
- Guests will undergo a COVID-19 test the day of embarkation and must test negative prior to boarding the ship. There is no cost for the embarkation test for guests. Guests testing positive will not be able to board the ship and will be responsible
for applicable costs related to denial of boarding.
- Guests on Luxury Bahamas Escapes will undergo an antigen test the day of embarkation at the Baha Mar Convention Center Hospitality Venue if boarding in Nassau or the Hilton Resorts World Hospitality Venue if boarding in Bimini.
- Unvaccinated guests are required to undergo a PCR test no earlier than three (3) days prior to embarkation. For Luxury Bahamas Escapes voyages, please note that as part of The Bahamas Travel Visa, unvaccinated travelers must complete a PCR test not older than 5 days prior to date of arrival in the Bahamas. In order to fulfill both Bahamas and Crystal PCR requirements, the PCR test must be done four (4) days prior to embarkation in Miami, Florida. Please review specific protocols for unvaccinated guests boarding in Miami here
- Embarkation will not begin until all guest staterooms, suites and public areas have been disinfected.
- Crystal is developing plans to facilitate its guests to meet the antigen test requirement for air travel back to the U.S. This testing plan may vary by ship and guests will be responsible for cost of the test, which may be reimbursable by insurance.
* For Luxury Bahamas Escapes:
Please note, a negative rapid antigen test is required by the United States Government for all guests flying back into or through the United States. As a service to our guests, we have arranged to conduct the rapid antigen test on board Crystal Serenity. For those guests wishing to take advantage of this service rather than taking a test at a shoreside facility, please follow the instructions below.
Prior to the test, please log on to your profile on the Bahamas Travel Health Visa site at travel.gov.bs click vouchers and follow the instructions. There is a $25 charge per person for this voucher payable with all major credit cards using the Bahamas Travel Health Visa site; this cost is in addition to the standard visa fee. Though the test is mandatory to fly back into the United States, it is not mandatory for you to have the test on board Crystal Serenity. This service is provided on board solely as a courtesy to our guests. Guests will not be able to purchase an antigen test directly from Crystal Serenity.
Guests who are remaining in The Bahamas for an extended period of time after the end of the cruise may also pre-purchase the test and visit any lab shoreside to take the test within three days of their return to the U.S.; it is the guest’s responsibility to ensure that ship staff understands they will be remaining in The Bahamas, and are not required to take the antigen test on the ship. Guests with optional Post-Cruise Hotel Packages at SLS Baha Mar and Hilton Resorts World will be provided an antigen test at the hotel, free of charge. Citizens of nations other than the United States will need to check with their own government websites for antigen testing protocols required for re-entry.
- Guests will undergo two temperature checks – one before entering the terminal and one at check-in both via a contact-free fever screening system
- Guests will complete a health questionnaire at the terminal
- Guests who show signs of illness will be seen by the medical staff and may be denied boarding
- Luggage will be disinfected before it is brought aboard
- Booked guests will not be able to bring visitors aboard the ship.
- Additional measures and precautions may be required depending on ports of embarkation/disembarkation
Capacity Control & Social DistancingIn Space We Trust
The Crystal experience affords each guest an abundance of personal space that is unrivalled in cruising. Crystal ships are designed to offer nearly double the space per guest of similar-sized ships. But Crystal Clean+ goes even further by mandating even fewer guests per square foot.
- We will not impose extreme or mandatory social distancing, and guests may dine and join others as they wish
- Unvaccinated guests will be required to exercise 6 feet of social distancing from those outside their own travel group.
Unvaccinated guests will also be excluded from certain onboard events – those in Captain’s Quarters, the Captain’s Welcome Party and Crystal Society gatherings.
Dancing and other close contact with guests outside one’s travel party is not allowed. Elevators may only be used with one’s travel party. Please review specific protocols for unvaccinated guests here.
- We will space guests considerately in lounges, restaurants, theater and casino
- Crystal’s Ambassador Host dance program will be temporarily suspended until further notice
- Crystal’s Junior Activities programming and in-suite babysitting services will be temporarily suspended until further notice
- Lifeboat drill procedures will be changed to accommodate social distancing
- Reduced capacity when ships resume service
Guest AccommodationsPurified To Perfection
Every suite and stateroom including all bathrooms, closets, and cabinets undergoes frequent disinfection with products that are listed on the EPA List N and meet the criteria for use against COVID-19. These efforts are supplemented by electrostatic fogging with medical-grade anti-viral and anti-microbial oxidants.
- Housekeeping staff will not disinfect (including fogging) or regularly clean guest accommodations while guests are present
- Guests will be provided individual Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) kits in their staterooms and suites
- Prior to guest arrival, staterooms and suites will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected with medical-grade oxidative chemical agents
- Products used are listed on the EPA List N and meet the criteria for use against COVID-19, norovirus and other infectious diseases
- Frequent disinfection of all guest accommodations utilizing medical-grade disinfectants
- Electrostatic foggers will be used as an additional tool for disinfection
- Guest corridors will be disinfected regularly
- Timely removal of food items from suites and staterooms to prevent spoilage and cultivation of microorganisms and bacteria
- Timely housekeeping turnover; bedsheets and linens professionally cleaned and disinfected at high temperatures
- Injection of diluted cleaning solution into drains to avoid clogged pipes and to prevent bacterial growth
- Reduction of paper products in suites and staterooms
Fresh-Air Ventilation SystemsFresh-Air
Crystal's ocean fleet features 100% fresh, non-recirculated air in every single guest suite, stateroom and social space. A cluster of guest staterooms and an adjacent corridor are set aside for isolation in the event of illness with a separate ventilation system.
- All air filters and cooling coils are frequently checked and maintained to ensure the highest standard of air quality possible
- A cluster of guest staterooms and an adjacent corridor are set aside for isolation in the event of illness; the ventilation of these staterooms has been arranged so there is no ventilation connection between the staterooms and/or the corridor; separate ducting leads the air directly to an appropriate exhaust duct
Masks & Face CoveringsResponsive Mask Policy
To best safeguard the health of the entire Crystal family, we will keep our mask policy nimble. We will constantly be reassessing mask policies in light of evolving best practices recommended by epidemiologists as well as compliance with the policies of local governments.
- On Crystal Serenity: Masks will be recommended but optional because of vaccine requirement for guests 12 years and older, 100 percent fresh air circulation in all public areas and staterooms, and the fact that our socially spacious designed ships are sailing with reduced guest capacity
- Areas where masks are optional include all staterooms and public areas including restaurants, casino, lounges, fitness center, pool deck, enrichment areas, front desk, spa, ship tenders
- Masks are required in shoreside terminal, hospitality suites, tour dispatch areas and during Crystal’s organized airport and hotel transfers as well as on shore excursions that are conducted inside
- Unvaccinated guests will be required to wear a mask in all public areas except when eating and/or drinking. Unvaccinated guests will also be required to wear a specific identification bracelet at all times outside of the guest’s stateroom or suite.Please review specific protocols for unvaccinated guests here
- Crystal and its guests will comply with all local health authority regulations, which may require masks ashore
- All crew will be vaccinated, however they will wear masks in all public areas until further notice
- Crystal will provide masks to guests
Crewmember Standards & PracticesRegular Health Monitoring
Under Crystal Clean+ our officers and crew are temperature-tested frequently, tested for COVID-19 and monitored for even the most minor symptoms. Crystal Clean+ will ensure that our crew members remain healthy and at their best to deliver the very best experiences for our guests.
- Crew members will be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer); this is a requirement of employment at least 14 days prior to service.
- All crew will be tested for COVID-19 prior to leaving their home location to join the ship and must receive a negative result; they also will take a COVID-19 test at embarkation, quarantine for seven days upon arrival, and take a test at the end of that seven-day period and receive a negative result, before beginning their duties
- Crew will be tested periodically during their rotations
- Crew to undergo frequent temperature checks and regular health monitoring
- Crew to wear masks and other necessary PPE when interacting with guests.
- Designated crew may also wear protective garments and eye protection, if required
- Medical Center Isolation Area staff will be required to wear adequate personal protection (face mask, eye protection, disposable gloves and disposable outer garment)
- Crew to follow proper hand washing practices
- Crew transfer between ships will be minimized
- Crew are prohibited from personal contact with guests such as hand shaking, hugging or kissing
- Crew are trained on health and safety preventive measures
Food & BeverageContactless Dining
Crystal's peerless drinking and dining are still what they have always been—simply extraordinary. What will be different is the service, redesigned to preserve the elegance while minimizing person-to-person contact. We call this new experience "Contactless Dining."
- Dedicated tables for solo travelers wishing to dine with other guests will be available, set with physical distancing considerations
- On Crystal Serenity, certain public rooms will not be available to unvaccinated guests including Umi Uma, Prego, Churrascaria, Marketplace, Avenue Saloon, Pulse Nightclub, Stardust Supper Club, Silk Bar, Connoisseur Club, Crystal Life Spa and Crystal Life Fitness. Unvaccinated guests will dine in an assigned (socially distanced) dining area. Please review specific protocols for unvaccinated guests here
- Guests will undergo touchless temperature checks prior to entering highly frequented public areas such as restaurants, lounges and entertainment venues
- Open seating will continue with social distancing considerations
- Guest seating will ensure ample spacing
- Disposable cutlery will be provided, upon request
- Contact-free dining service will be implemented in all onboard venues
- Self-service options will be eliminated in the Marketplace, Bistro and other venues
- 24-hour room service is always an option
- Increased hand washing and use of hand sanitizing stations will be required
- All restaurants, bars and galleys will be disinfected with increased frequency
- Stringent procurement guidelines will be enforced
Shoreside Partners & ExcursionsAllies Ashore
Crystal partners with our allies ashore to make certain the Crystal Clean+ protocol protects you when you leave the ship to explore.
- As the COVID-19 vaccine is now a requirement for travel with Crystal, guests will be permitted to explore independently ashore.
- In The Bahamas, as per the restrictions of the Bahamian government, unvaccinated guests may not be able to disembark the ship to go ashore in some ports of call. Please review specific protocols for unvaccinated guests boarding in Miami here.
- Shuttles into town will be provided when in port where available.
- Crystal guests will be expected to follow all of the destination’s local guidelines pertaining to masks, social distancing and other precautions including frequent handwashing. Crystal guests should visit destination websites for further details on their health and safety protocols.
- Guests will be provided individual Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) kits for use while on tour
- Tour coaches and tenders will be disinfected to meet Crystal Clean+ standards
- Crystal will partner with local destinations and tour operators to ensure our industry-leading health and sanitation protocols extend to the shoreside experience
- Excursion group sizes will be reduced to help allow for proper social distancing
- Crystal will monitor port regulations and adjust requirements and schedules as needed to maintain guests' health and wellbeing
- Crystal will only visit safe, open ports of call; this may cause changes to the itinerary. Keeping our guests up-to-date with the latest confirmed changes impacting their itineraries is a top priority
- Additional health screenings many be required by local health officials before disembarkation in certain ports
Medical CenterCare Everywhere
Each ship's state-of-the-art medical center has been further reinforced. Every Crystal ship in the fleet has a dedicated medical team aboard and available 24/7. All Crystal guests and crew will receive a wearable device that allows rapid contact tracing. Crystal is exploring partnerships with local medical authorities in every port to ensure quality medical facilities (and critical local networks and relationships) will be in place for guests requiring medical attention ashore. Ventilators and new virus testing equipment are now standard.
- In the unlikely event that we detect a case on board, the person will be diagnosed and treated appropriately. Depending on the diagnosis, they and their traveling party may be isolated or evacuated. Our new contact tracking system will be utilized to track exposure if needed. We are exploring partnerships with local medical authorities in every port to ensure quality medical facilities and quarantine locations will be in place for guests requiring medical attention ashore. These plans will be in place before the ship sails.
- During embarkation all Crystal guests and crew will receive a wearable device to facilitate contact tracing, in the unlikely event of close contact to a laboratory confirmed or probable COVID-19 positive individual
- The Center for Disease Control’s guidelines currently defines close contact as being within 6 feet of an infected individual for a total of 15 min or more over a 24-hour period.
- The medical team comprises a doctor and three nurses aboard each ship, available around the clock
- Crystal's Medical Centers are well equipped with ventilators, new virus-testing equipment, X-Ray machines, extensive first aid tools and common prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Medical Centers will be equipped to perform Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Point of Care testing
- Isolated wards are available in the Medical Centers
- Contaminated items and medical waste will be properly sealed and disposed of according to health and safety guidelines
- Medical equipment and waste bins cleaned, disinfected and washed with medical-grade disinfectant
Public Health OfficerVessel Sanitation-trained
A certified Public Health Officer oversees implementation of the stringent Crystal Clean+ outbreak prevention and mitigation protocol. Working in lock sync with relevant health authorities, each Crystal ship’s PH Officer works to make sure daily cleanings are up to Crystal Clean+ standards and supports onboard medical teams.
- Trained in the CDC's and the other local health authority's Vessel Sanitation Programs
- Oversees outbreak mitigation and cleaning protocols
- Closely coordinates with medical teams
- Ensures that daily cleaning protocols are in accordance with CDC guidelines
Being worthy of your confidence is both our honor and our duty; we thank you for your highest compliment: your trust.
We cannot wait to sail forward together once more.
When you’re ready we’ll be here.